Women’s Western Golf Association

 

Women’s Western Open Championship

WOMEN'S WESTERN OPEN

The Women’s Western Open Championship was inaugurated by Mrs. Paul Walker from the Glen View Club in Golf Illinois while she served as President of the WWGA in 1930.  Her desire was to provide an opportunity for professional women golfers and unattached players to compete with amateur players from WWGA Member Clubs in a Western Championship.  At that time, the winner received the Women’s Western Open Pin to be worn for one year.

In 1937, Mrs. Walker presented the Association with the Edna Walker Trophy, a beautiful hand-wrought punch bowl made from silver trophies won by both Edna and her husband Paul.  The winner of the Open was custodian of the cup as long as she remained champion.  From 1979 to 1986, this trophy was awarded to the Champion of the WWGA Senior Championship.  The trophy was retired and is on display at The World Golf Hall of Fame in St. Augustine, Florida.

The Women’s Western Open was considered a major championship in women’s professional golf until it was discontinued after the 1967 tournament when the WWGA decided to concentrate all their efforts on amateur golf.

More on the Women’s Western Open

© 2012  WWGA

The WWGA is on
Facebook and Twitter.  Click the icons below to follow us!